The late afternoon winter sun is gently kissing the inside of the largest train station in Madrid.
The station was inaugurated in 1851. Unfortunately it burned down almost completely in 1890. It was re-opened in 1892 after being restored by Alberto de Palacio Elissagne and the help of Gustave Eiffel. The new style is predominantly of wrought iron.
In 1992 the station also became a shopping centre with a nightclub and a 4,000 metre square tropical garden.
In 2004, 191 people died and 1800 were wounded in a bombing attack.